Monday 3 November 2014

#theoceanprotectsme...


I recently attended the workshop ‘Be a composer’ as part of Melbourne knowledge weekIt was an experimental and enjoyable process...
Unlike the traditional ways a person may compose, this work focused on providing a visual score for the players. 

While devising the piece 'sea weak' i reflected on the impact of August... 
>when i lost my keys to the ocean
>five days later i dropped my phone in the ocean
>the next day, friends of mine left a card in my letterbox with the ocean on the front and one hundred dollars and kind words on the inside
>two days after that, i received a ring the the mail- of a seashell
i have loved the sea for as long as i can remember, despite almost drowning in it at the age of nine. i don't ever crave a new thing or something that tastes sweet or human attention; i find i long for the water...
after the ocean took all my things i wrote these lyrics:

"build your city by the river
so you can take a long walk
pour out your lies into the water
it'll take all that you've got
not a lot

if you build your city on the sand 
you know it won't last very long
the view might be splendid honey 
but you know it'll just do you wrong

and if you build your city on the stone
i know its seems a good idea
but its hard and it's cold 
and you'll end up alone
you know it's the truth my dear

but if you build your city by the river
you can take a long walk  
pour out your lies into the water
and it'll take all that you've got
not a lot

so i sailed out into the deep
i gave the ocean my keys
gave the ocean technology  
and it brought you to me

i gave the ocean all of me
i gave the ocean all i own
and it brought you to me"


I would look forward to working on more visual scores in the future #musicismybestfriend
Below is a very raw recording of a work I composed played by inventi ensemble 



No comments:

Post a Comment